Saturday, March 20, 2021

Saturday Share: Above Ground

 Happy first day of Spring!


I almost didn't post today as I've had quite a lot going on in my world the past few weeks that has left me looking for a moment to take a breath and rest. 

I can sometimes find myself buried under the weight of things I feel I should have finished already, or meeting deadlines for my business. But in thinking about the first day of spring I remembered a quote about being buried that has risen a number of times through-out history and literature and it got me curious as to the origin. 

As it turns out sources point to a Greek poet (Christianopoulos) who first wrote: "What didn't you do to bury me...but you forgot that I was a seed". 

This image has been useful for those fighting for social change, for fighting our own demons or in my mind today...feeling buried under a massive 'to do' list. What if I'm not buried...what if I'm just planted and ready to start growing to meet all these tasks that need doing? 

So I'll keep fortifing my roots and trust that my head will break the surface and feel that sunlight soon enough. 

This little art quilt was made a number of years ago, as I played with a theme of using a song title to create a small work. I was listening to an album by Norah Jones at the time and thought "Above Ground" was a good title to play with some different textures and techniques. 


No comments:

Post a Comment