Saturday, December 5, 2020

Saturday Share: Winter Moon

 

Winter Moon
Textile Art by Monique Kleinhans

Driving home one night I had to quickly pull over to the side of the road.  Before me the mountains were being lit by the last of the evening light and behind them a beautiful almost full moon rose larger than life.  Thankfully I had my camera with me and I spent some time taking photos and just taking in the beauty of the moment.  After looking at my photos I knew I wanted to translate the experience into thread and fabric.  Every time I look at this piece I immediately return to that moment on the road home, and the sense of wonder that this area offers us every day.

This piece was created using traditional appliqué techniques and extensive thread painting to create depth and the visual layers of the mountainside forest.  The piece was then quilted and stretched on canvas for easy hanging.

I'm excited to get to introduce some students to the joy of thread painting in my online class through Sewing Expo next week, and so grateful for the means of staying connected via technology! 

No comments:

Post a Comment