Saturday, October 3, 2020

Saturday Share "A Painted Path"


Autumn is one of my favorite times of year. The colors bloom like the flowers of spring, but this time not as a warm-up for the garden to come, but as a celebration of all that was harvested. 

I love following the knowledge of the seasons--one of the reasons I was so happy to move back home where we experience all four. Autumn is an exhalation, a release of all growing and fruiting and producing of the summer. It reminds me to breathe, sit and just take in the golden light from the new angle of the sun, the warmth of the afternoon, as well as the chill of the morning. The trees send off their growing season with a dance of colorful leaves accompanied by the wind chimes and the last of the dragonflies. 

I created this pieces "A Painted Path" as a celebration of playing with a fiber I long had interest in, but hadn't yet cracked the nut of how I wanted to work with: Lutradur. I'm still playing with different uses, but this was the first piece where I felt we finally became friends. 

Made from spun poly it takes color, and distressing beautifully and be used in everything from making postcards to lampshades to 3D leaves gathered on a forest floor. 

While reading tonight, I was introduced to a lovely poem by Naomi Shihab Nye, and the last stanza resonated so strongly with me. I hope that you will enjoy it too:

"Walk around feeling like a leaf
Know you could tumble any second
then decide what to do
with your time"

2 comments:

  1. Poem is heavy! Love your piece. I thought it was real leaves when I first saw pic on FB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robbie! Lutradur is really fun to work with (even though it took me a while of 'sniffing' around it find my way in...now I love experimenting with it! And don't let the poem be heavy...just a reminder to not let your life be sidetracked from things that bring you (or others) joy. And when it's time for me to 'tumble' I hope I dance through the sky like the fall leaves in the bright blue autumn sky. <3

    ReplyDelete