Saturday, September 19, 2020

Saturday Share: Backroads

 


Traveling the backroads of Montana is one of my favorite past times. As a child I would ride my bike for hours down the (seemingly) endless gravel roads and dream of what secrets the horizon might hold.

This piece is inspired from a photo I took while exploring the back roads of Big Sandy. Stitched on a pieced and quilted background, watercolor pencils and thread painting were used to extend the road out to meet you. Where does your road lead?

I'm asking myself this question a lot lately...as I feel the distance grow between strangers, friends and even family members as the rhetoric and desire to be seen as the 'winning team' supersedes the fact that unless we find a way to care for one another no one will win. 

Sometimes traveling down a road with no idea of how long it stretches feels like an adventure, sometimes if feels like a meditation in endurance--as it reminds us of how far we are from a destination or if we are even traveling in the desired direction of our goals. 

This morning I'm feeling the vast distance between where we are to where I would hope we are headed....so my walking mantra today comes from Martin Luther King Jr.  "the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice." 

Let's keep walking my fellow passengers. 



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that quote from MLK. It is especially pertinent this week and should encourage us to not give up hope.

    ReplyDelete