Sunday, September 25, 2022

Painting Fabric with Inktense Blocks: Work in Progress

I've been wanting to explore creating some larger scale painted art quilts and recently started a new landscape piece with this in mind. 

As the fabric canvas is over 3' by 4', coloring the scene in using Inktense pencils would take a lot of time to achieve full saturation of color, as well as the added challenge of blending out any hard lines from the pencils as I worked. 

So instead I've gotten my Inktense blocks out to play. While a bit more messy to work with, their shape is much better suited to laying out a large amount of color across larger surfaces. 


I started by sketching out the basic shapes of the landscape I'm using for inspiration and then working on a layer of freezer paper to protect my table surface from becoming stained, I wet the sky section using a mister (most often found in greenhouses) and began to layer in different colors of blue. The best way to make your landscapes appear as if there is depth is by making sure that the color fades to a softer hue toward the horizon line. 

I let the sky dry completely and then began to work on the mountains, started with a base layer and then adding colors on top until I began to achieve the blend I was looking for. 


So far I've worked my way down toward the water line, but now it's time to let what I've got dry completely so I can work the bottom sections without them blending together. 

Being patient and waiting is the always the most difficul part of the task!

Stay tuned for more :)


3 comments: